While installing packages from IBM’s original open source repository,
ibm, users may encounter errors, including:
- [Errno 12] Timeout on: ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/ibmi/products/pase/rpms/repo/repodata/repomd.xml: (28, ‘Connection time-out’) Trying other mirror. Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: ibm. Please verify its path and try again.
- [Errno 14] FTP Error 451 – server did not report OK, got 451 Trying other mirror
- [Errno 14] FTP Error 550 – Access denied: 550 Trying other mirror
If you get similar errors containing
ftp in the text, you can get past them by changing from ftp to https. Explanation: IBM originally chose the ftp protocol for its repositories, but later enabled https, which proved more reliable.
How to update your IBM i repository from ftp to https
- Edit the IBM repository configuration file:
and change the value of baseurl, replacing
- The line will now read:
- From a PASE terminal such as SSH, run the “yum clean all” command:
/QOpenSys/pkgs/bin/yum clean all
Now you can try your Yum or RPM command again.